Wednesday, November 30, 2016

THE RIDE

As I ride my stallion, to the mountain top -
reaching for the sky...
I find myself, lost in thought -
wondering how and why.

How did He do it, and why does He care?
And I ask Him that, when I get up there -
I dismount my horse - and I stop and stare...

For the beauty that surrounds me,
simply, just, astounds me -
all the sounds, around me -
every where.

I feel Him, deep within me...
Stirring something in me -
something, of which,
I am not yet aware.

I hear His Words, in the song of the birds;
and they fill the mountain air...
And the afternoon breeze, as it blows through the trees,
is warning me - to beware.

He summons me, to notice, the spider and bug...
And then, He gently gives me, a warm, internal hug.
The spider, He says, is cunning and sly -
forever plotting, to trap the fly.

And many people, lay traps too -
hoping they will soon catch you.
So as you ride, on life’s rough trail,
be sure to watch your gait...
For there are those, with tooth and nail -
who skillfully, lie, in wait.

And along the way, you will find,
those who like to be unkind...
Who laugh and tease,
those on their knees -
while they,
can’t make up their own mind.

Then God tells me,
He won’t leave me -
when all the others don’t believe me -
and assures me, He will teach me,
right, from wrong.

He promises to guide me -
and to always stay beside me -
as the cricket’s hum their slow, melodic song.

And as I descend the mountain,
passing by a fountain -
I feel blessed to be alive...
upon the earth.
And I thank God, for all His gifts to me -
and tell Him to do as He wishes, with me -
for I was His servant, already...
at my birth.

I like to think, He understands...
What He always meant to me -
but I wanted to do, what I wanted to do -
and to be, what I wanted to be.

And so, in my youth, I strayed a bit,
from that straight and narrow path...
But I like to think, He understood -
and maybe, even laughed.

And through the years,
as I grew older...
His hold on me - well, it grew bolder.
And though I resisted, to some extent,
I never fought too hard -
because, after all, it is God’s game;
and He holds the ultimate card.

And as I remember, those wonderful days...
My life has changed, in so many ways -
before, I was strong,
and now, I am weak...
It didn’t take long,
to turn me humble and meek.

I can no longer get upon my horse -
for gravity is a mighty force.
With broken leg, I sit and write -
to tell this tale to you...
Somewhat prepared, but still, not quite -
for what it is, I must do.

My ride, is not yet over...
Onward, I go, still -
on an endless search,
for the perfect church -
climbing, up life’s hill.
The Mormon Church, disappointed me...
The Universal Life Church has anointed me.
But I feel, that God ordained me, long ago.

The Church just never knew me -
they said, God wouldn’t, talk to me...
But how in the world, does anybody know?

I know God, as well as any man -
as well, as any human can.

He walks with me,
and I with Him...
(when I can keep that pace).
And I will always be...
whether beside, or behind,
On His team - while I’m riding life’s race.

So, though I may not belong,
to a church -
right or wrong...
I long, to belong to Him.

And whenever I ask,
“Lord, show me my task...”
He answers, with vigor and vim.

And He tells me to write,
both day and night -
He tells me write... about Him.

And now that I know, the bulk of His plan -
I will watch where I go, and do what I can...
And though I am scared, of crowds, just a bit -
I’m not scared of any man.
For God is with me - this is it -
I can do it...
I know that I can.

Then He fills me with words,
about life and death...
He sharpens my senses,
and halts my breath -
but only, for a moment or two.
And with my hands shaking,
at the task I am facing,
He tells me, again...
what to do.

He says to reach out, to those who are lost;
Who would sell their soul, at any cost -
to the young and confused...
and the scared - and the tossed.
To tell them, they control their own life’s ride -
we can live with humility, or live with pride.

Our body is ours -
to do with, as we please;
as we traverse this physical plain.
With doors to open,
 and doors to close;
there’s so much to lose...
yet, so much to gain.

So walk through any door you want...
Some will help you - others, will taunt.
And if you get stuck,
or lose your way -
all you have to do...
Is stop for a minute; take time to pray -
and God will rescue you.

Yes, I like to remember,
those rides in September...
As the leaves crunched beneath my steed.
And when I recall,
those days in the Fall...
I thank God, for planting that seed.
Enjoy the ride.
***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to offer your thoughts and opinions...